The first local Exchange Club was formed in Detroit, Michigan in 1911. The second was the Exchange Club of Toledo, Ohio formed in 1913. Subsequently, two others were organized in Grand Rapids, Michigan and Cleveland, Ohio. These four clubs were the first to be chartered by the National Exchange Club after it was organized as a nonprofit, educational organization in 1917.
We are America’s Service Club. From our organization’s earliest days, Exchange Clubs have been unselfishly serving their communities and improving the quality of life. The diverse array of Exchange-sponsored programs and projects has made a considerable impact on America, enhancing the lives of countless men, women and children across the nation.
Milestones of National Exchange
1911 – The first Exchange Club formed in Detroit
1913 – The second Exchange Club organized in Toledo
1917 – First convention of several Exchange Clubs – constitution adopted.
1919 – “Book of Golden Deeds” is established national program in 1923
1920 – First Indianapolis Exchange club, the Downtown Exchange Club chartered.
1927 – “Covenant of Service” adopted
1928 – “Aviation” adopted as a national project focusing on marking buildings to aid aviation – note 1927 reasons for deaths in airplanes – sponsored 1929“National Women’s Air Derby”
1933 – The National Exchange is called upon by President Franklin Roosevelt to help fight the depression
1941 – The National Exchange backs the war effort and the US Savings Bond program.
1947 – The observance of “National Crime Prevention Week” adopted as a national program.
1948 – The “Boy of the Month and Year” program adopted and in 1971 changed its name to “Youth of the Month and Year.”
1949 – The “Freedom Shrine Project” (set of historic documents) is adopted.
1965 – Three areas of service; 1) American Citizenship, 2) Community Service, and 3) Service to Youth.
1966 – “Fire Prevention” becomes a nationally recommended project.
1972 – “Milestones of Freedom” project is adopted as an adjunct to the “Freedom Shrine” project.
1976 – “Proudly We Hail” is adopted to encourage display American Flag.
1979 – “Child Abuse Prevention” is adopted as a national project.
1981 – The first Exchange Club Center for the Prevention of Child Abuse opened in Fort Pierce, Florida –
Indianapolis established their Child Abuse Prevention Center in 1985 as part of the Indianapolis Children’s Bureau (established in 1855) located at 16th & Dr. Martin Luther King Blvd.
1981 – Project “Give a Kid a Flag to Wave” is adopted.
1981 – The “Blue and Gold Wounded in Service Award” is adopted as Exchange’s highest tribute to law enforcement personnel who have been wounded or killed while serving their community.
1983 – “Young Citizenship Award” is established at the 65th National Convention in Nashville, Tennessee to honor young men and women who strive to be good citizens at home at school and in the community.
1984- The Exchange Club of Speedway was chartered by the National Exchange club
1992 – “Accepting the Challenge of Excellence (ACE)” award is adopted as a part of the Program for Service for high school students who have overcome obstacles.
1999 – The National Exchange Club co-sponsors the “23rd Annual Air Race Classic”in June where many historical aviation-related items are donated by the Exchange to the International Women’s Air and Space Museum.
National Exchange adopts programs for the needs of the time
Each Club is unique and develops projects for their communities